Wednesday, June 5, 2013

One word for a whole lot of attributes

Class.

There was a time when the best thing you could say about a rider was that he had class. "He's a classy rider." Maybe not the fastest guy in the bunch, but still somebody everybody looked up to.

His bike was always well-maintained, his water bottle full, two tubulars strapped under the saddle. His clothes were clean, too. Real bicycle clothes, not just a cotton T-shirt over a pair of bike shorts.

Once the ride started, his class showed through. He could hold a wheel, and if you were on his wheel, he did not do anything to put you in danger. You knew about the glass, the potholes and the cars up ahead. If he accelerated, it was smoothly so you could stay on his wheel. He would let you know when he was slowing down.

The story on the Earle Wheels Website comes from my friend Maynard Hershon. People who have been around cycling and/or motorcycles for a while know Maynard's writing. Classy.

Maynard wrote a lot about classy bike riding, and he embodies it on and off the bike. He wrote a lot about saying "Hi" to other cyclists. He wrote about sharing the road. And then he quit writing for bicycle mags.

Despite the grace of his writing and his popularity, most people ignored his message. And when his writing disappeared, so it seems did the last voice advocating class on a bike.

I wish my words could convey more about what it means to be a classy rider. And I hope when I am out on the road, I can still be a classy rider.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Earle!

    I did not quit writing for bicycle magazines, but I do not contribute to a nationally available one these days. I'm still monthly in the Bicycle Paper, a Pac NW free bicycle paper out of Seattle. My stuff is included in the Bicycle Paper web site and then archived there. You can read years of my columns at that site. I'm regularly in the Rivendell Reader...if you can call the Reader regular.

    It was a pleasure to know you and work with you all these years ago at Velo-Sport, and it's equally a pleasure to be associated with you, even in a small way, at your new venture.

    your old friend Maynard

    ReplyDelete