Friday, March 8, 2013

Why I don’t have dial gauges on my truing stand


There are truing stands on the market now that have dial gauges that will show you to the tenth of a millimeter how round and true your wheels are. They present a beautiful picture of precision that the bare steel pointers of my Park TS-2 seems to lack.

People who use them talk about how accurate they are, how quickly they can get a wheel true and round.

Thanks, but no thanks. When I get the wheel round enough that the pointer is a millimeter off the rim in both lateral and radial measure, and when my dishing tool says the wheel is centered on the axle, I say that deviation is small enough, and work only with the tension meter. I will give up a deviation that will be undetectable while you ride the bike to have the tension closer to even. Remember, we are riding on pavement, not a brand-new velodrome with a polished concrete surface.

If I had a better grasp of the mathematics and physics involved, I could manipulate the formulae and finite element analysis presented in Jobst Brandt’s “The Bicycle Wheel” to prove this thesis mathematically, but I don’t ride numbers. I ride bicycles. I have heard from customers and felt on my own bikes that my wheels just ride better. I believe it is because I concentrate most on even spoke tension. 

No comments:

Post a Comment